Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] question about schedules and retentions

2008-11-11 14:48:47
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] question about schedules and retentions
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 20:45:45 +0100
Hi,

11.11.2008 18:18, Carlo Maesen wrote:
> I did read the bacula manual but, I have some questions about schedules.
> I creat the following schedule:
> Schedule {
>   Name = aca-cycle
>   Run = Level=Incremental Pool=aca mon-thu at 22:00
>   Run = Level=Full Pool=aca 1st-4th sat at 22:00
> }
>
> I backup one client according this schedule, but each different run has also
> a different file and job retention. (Incr = 4 weeks, Full = 1 year)
> Do I have to create 2 different clients and jobs, one for the incemental
> backup and one for the full ?
> Because the file and job retenion is defined in the client-directive.

If you actually need the job-specific retention times you are in
trouble...

An incremental can only be based on the latest full backup for the
same job, and a job is defined by the unique combination of client and
fileset.

The better approach is to use distinct pools for full, differential,
and incremental backups, where each pool has its own retention settings.

When a job is purged from a pool volume, the accompanying file and job
data is also removed.

Typically, you'll keep the full backup longest, so in essence, the job
  and file retentions apply to full backups only, if they are longer
than the retention times of the partial backup pools retention times.

This, typically, is exactly what is needed - complete control when
restoring from recent backups, and less control but also less database
use for the long-term storage.

Arno

Arno Lehmann
IT-Service Lehmann