Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Cannot find any appendable volumes. (but they are there!)

2008-11-10 14:43:58
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Cannot find any appendable volumes. (but they are there!)
From: "Mingus Dew" <shon.stephens AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Joerg Wunsch" <joerg_wunsch AT uriah.heep.sax DOT de>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 14:41:41 -0500
When I have this issue I do the following.

1. Make sure that the request for an "appendable volume" isn't legitimate. It happens, tapes fill up and no more are available in the changer.
2. Cancel any tape jobs. Let any disk jobs complete
3. Stop bacula-dir, bacula-sd
4. Remove bacula-dir.state, bacula-sd.state
5. Restart bacula-dir, bacula-sd
6. Run canceled tape jobs.

-Shon

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 7:31 AM, Joerg Wunsch <j AT uriah.heep.sax DOT de> wrote:
As Mingus Dew wrote:

> I hope someone answers your question. I've seen this same issue reported my
> me and others with no admission that there is a bug. I personally can't find
> anything wrong with my configuration. Could you check your bacula.log for
> any errors in the tape jobs prior. I've noticed that library error (mtx
> output) is not making it into the failure emails, only the request for an
> "appendable volume"

That might explain it, but then I'd still like to know how to recover.

The night before, one backup was aborted since the autochanger script
somehow got confused about the slots to unload the tape into, and then
the ch(4) device (this is FreeBSD which has a kernel device driver for
media changer devices) refused to unload the medium because the
desired destination slot was not empty.  Prompted by this, I modified
the autochanger script to always use the "chio return drive 0" command
rather than even trying to trust the slot number passed in from Bacula
-- I found my L280 can always exactly remember which slot the medium
has been loaded from, even after a power cycle, so there's no point in
trying to move the tape to anything else but its source slot.

After fixing this, I did not restart the bacula daemons though.  The
last messages from the previous night's failed jobs were:

03-Nov 03:13 uriah-sd JobId 35: 3304 Issuing autochanger "load slot 3, drive 0" command.
03-Nov 03:14 uriah-sd JobId 35: Fatal error: 3992 Bad autochanger "load slot 3, drive 0": ERR=Child exited with code 1.
Results=chio: /dev/ch0: CHIOMOVE: No space left on device

03-Nov 03:14 uriah-fd JobId 35: Fatal error: job.c:1817 Bad response to Append Data command. Wanted 3000 OK data
, got 3903 Error append data

One day later (i.e. this morning), the messages were:

04-Nov 03:03 uriah-dir JobId 36: Start Backup JobId 36, Job=UriahHome.2008-11-04_03.03.24
04-Nov 03:03 uriah-dir JobId 36: Using Device "Drive-1"
04-Nov 03:03 uriah-sd JobId 36: Job UriahHome.2008-11-04_03.03.24 waiting. Cannot find any appendable volumes.

I.e. it did not even attempt to touch the changer.

So how would I have to tell the Bacula daemons my media changer
problems have been fixed?  Remember, even a full "update slots scan"
did not unblock it.

--
cheers, J"org               .-.-.   --... ...--   -.. .  DL8DTL

http://www.sax.de/~joerg/                        NIC: JW11-RIPE