Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] MaximumBlockSize Problem and Question

2008-11-07 05:27:35
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] MaximumBlockSize Problem and Question
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: bacula-devel AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 11:24:44 +0100
On Friday 07 November 2008 10:55:57 Ulrich Leodolter wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-11-06 at 22:20 +0100, Kern Sibbald wrote:
> > On Thursday 06 November 2008 22:02:26 Alex Chekholko wrote:

> > > Hi Kern,
> > >
> > > Why do you say that?
> >
> > It is my experience with my own testing, and I asked the Quantum
> > technical gurus about using large blocks. They think it is not a good
> > idea at all using values larger than 512K and prefer as I do values
> > around 256K.  The bigger it is the more likely the tape writing will get
> > out of phase and IMO the gain is not worth the possible problems.
> >
> > > Is this thread relevant?:
> > > http://www.mail-archive.com/bacula-devel AT lists.sourceforge DOT
> > > net/msg01246
> > >.htm l
> >
> > Possibly.
> >
> > > Also, I would like to corroborate the OP's experiences; I had an almost
> > > identical thread about small block size and slow write speed:
> > > http://www.nabble.com/LTO-4-performance--td17407840.html
> > >
> > > In fact, I was unable to get higher block sizes working at all with
> > > btape:
> > > http://www.adsm.org/lists/html/Bacula-users/2008-05/msg00504.html
> > >
> > > So I am still stuck at ~22MB/s writing to LTO-4 with the default block
> > > size.
> >
> > There are a lot of other parameters to consider, but I cannot give such
> > advice any more -- no time:
> >
> > - Up the block size to 128K or 256K and verify that it is being written
> > that size.
>
> Hi,
>
> Be warned!  Changing this parameter will deny access to existing
> backup data.

> > - Increase the Maximum File Size to about 5GB.
>
> Are existing data still accessible when increasing
> Maximum File Size ?  i hope so

Changing the Maximum File Size is completely upwards/downwards compatible,
with the reservation that if you make it too small you will incur increased
overhead, and if you make it larger, it may take longer to recover files.

Changing the tape block size can create compatibility problems.

Regards,

Kern