Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] file dir computer restarts resulting in mismatched file count error on tape

2008-11-05 15:51:49
Subject: [Bacula-users] file dir computer restarts resulting in mismatched file count error on tape
From: Bob Hetzel <beh AT case DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2008 15:48:01 -0500
I think I may have found a bug or perhaps at least a design limitation
in Bacula.  I'm running version 2.4.3.  I use spooling and I back up to
tape.  I seem to get periodic errors logged about a file count mismatch
resulting in a tape getting marked as status "Error".

I think I was able to determine the cause of one of these... the backup
client running Windows Vista was restarted in the middle of the backup.
  The next time that tape is used, the file count mismatch is noted and
the tape is marked in error.  Additionally, bacula apparently filled up
the tape before the client was restarted, so I don't know for sure if
that had something to do with the problem.

This raises some questions...

1) When a client goes away in the middle of a backup, bacula should
handle that properly, but it appears to be missing a part of what it
would normally do when a backup completes successfully.

2) In theory, if it can't do a whole backup the files that it does get
onto the tape should be recoverable too but I've not checked if it
handles it such that they are.

3) When a tape file count mismatch is found, can't it just correct the
mismatch, send an e-mail and move on, w/o marking the tape as status
Error when the tape is actually fine?