Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] What new feature are you waiting for?

2008-11-04 20:03:41
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] What new feature are you waiting for?
From: "Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa" <ildefonso.camargo AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sf DOT net
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 20:31:11 +1930
Hi!

I was just thinking:

In the next few days, I'll be configuring a 10 drive, and 245 tapes, LTO-4 autochanger....... I mean, 10 drives, at ~120MB/s each drive...... well.... a LOT of speed.  I don't think it makes sense to configure *all* these drives on the same server (I mean, the network is 1Gb, ~100MB/s, assuming the servers/switchs can handle it), so, even if I setup the concurrent jobs correctly, it still doesn't make sense to configure all the drives on the same server, because there will not be enough network speed to fully use them.  So, it would be nice to have a way of either:

+ Configure one or  more drives on *different* servers, and have bacula contact the *autochanger server* (which, off course, will have some tapes connected to it) in order to ask for a the tape load for *other* server.

Or:

+ Make it possible to use several IPs on the same SD server, so that bacula can have different clients connect to different SD IP (well, actually the same machine).  I know there are ways of "bonding" several ethernet interfaces into a "faster one", but this requires a switch that support that feature.  With current servers, there should not be problem for them to handle several 1Gb interfaces.

Any comments are wellcome.

c-ya!

Ildefonso Camargo