Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Windows backups slow for remote (internet) backups only

2008-11-04 15:32:23
Subject: [Bacula-users] Windows backups slow for remote (internet) backups only
From: Marc DeTrano <marc AT gridshield DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2008 13:36:11 -0600
I am having a problem where Bacula backups of Windows machines are
running slow, only when saving to a storage daemon across the internet.
Here's what I have so far:

-Bacula Director and Local SD, 2.2.8, running on Mandriva Linux 2008.1
-Remote SD 2.4.2, running on RHEL 4
-Windows FD, 2.4.3, running on Windows Server 2003 R2
-Remote connection is an 8Mbps line.

The trouble is, the backups of Windows machines to the remote storage
never exceed about 3Mbps.

-I tried the exact same backup job, running to local storage, and it
zipped right along (peaking at about 30 Mbps or so).
-Remote backups of Linux machines nearly reach the full 8Mbps available.
-Disabling/Enabling VSS did not make a difference.
-Disabling/Enabling Compression did not make a difference.
-I have tried various settings for Maximum Network Buffer Size, setting
the same for both the FD and the SD, or also trying with just the FD
  - At 65535, the remote backups experience a lot of problems
(eventually die).
  - At 32768, the remote backups are stable, just with this 3Mbps limit.
  - Above 32768, same limit
  - 16000, and they run slower.

-FTP file transfers from the Windows machines to the same remote server
with the SD can also reach the full 8Mbps.

-I have not made any changes to the GlobalMaxTcpWindowSize registry
entry (not yet willing to risk altering other services on the systems),
but I checked and this is currently at 1677216.

-This problem has been present since before some recent upgrades to the
various components (was at the 1.38 level, I did a lot of upgrading to
try to resolve this issue).

All I know is that everything is pointing to the Bacula-Windows-Remote
combination as having the problem.  I would appreciate any advice on
some other settings I can try, and I am certainly willing to experiment
or provide what additional information I can to help out.

Thanks for your help, and for a really slick network backup product.

Marc
Gridshield, S.A.