Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Can we run multiple sd's with one dir?

2008-10-28 14:48:28
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Can we run multiple sd's with one dir?
From: Alan Brown <ajb2 AT mssl.ucl.ac DOT uk>
To: mehma sarja <mehmasarja AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 18:45:28 +0000 (GMT)
On Mon, 27 Oct 2008, mehma sarja wrote:

> Quick math shows we need to backup 75%*(50 TB + 25 TB + 12.5 TB + 5TB) = 70
> TB. I can buy one 32 TB's RAID 5 array for about $12.7K not including any
> head ends. So, let's say I get by with 2 arrays  - that's about $400/TB.

You assume you need to use disk arrays for the backuip storage. At these
sizes tapes are more economical.

> COMPARE WITH DISTRIBUTED BACKUPS
> That means we put the backup drive in each workstation and run a fd and sd
> on the same machine:
> a.  For each of the 200 workstations, we use 1 TB backup drives - that's
> about $110/TB.

What happens when the building catches fire or someone steals the desktop?

I make backups for disaster recovery. Individual file recovery is a nice
bonus. Having backup disks scattered around is an administrative and
security nightmare and only slightly better than relying users to do their
own backups (simple answer: the ones who _need_ to, won't. Then they
somehow manage to make it your fault for not backing up their systems when
they break it.)

If most of the desktop machine images are homogenous, then backuppc will
give _vast_ space and bandwidth savings over individual backups. (for the
moment - Bacula's always had an eye towards acoomodating this kind of
facility but it's not there yet.)

AB