Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Unlimited Retention

2008-10-23 04:58:48
Subject: [Bacula-users] Unlimited Retention
From: LeJav <lejav AT ibs-tls DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 10:10:25 +0200
Hello,

Here is my problem: I want to backup my system with normal strategy
  (full every week, incremental, retention....), but I have also data on
  this server that I want to archive indefinitely (without retention).
To do that, i declared first retention period for this job as 100 years.
But it did not work.
Investigating in source code, I found that:

ua_prune.c
   period = client->FileRetention;
   now = (utime_t)time(NULL);

   /* Select Jobs -- for counting */
   Mmsg(query, count_select_job, edit_uint64(now - period, ed1),
        edit_int64(cr.ClientId, ed2));
   Dmsg3(050, "select now=%u period=%u sql=%s\n", (uint32_t)now,
               (uint32_t)period, query.c_str());

and : time() returns the time since the Epoch (00:00:00 UTC, January 1, 1970),
measured in seconds.
for instance, today, now = 1224742378 = 38.8 years
this means that if i set a retention > 39 years, now-period will be negative,
  and then a very very big number in unsigned int64, so jobs will be always
pruned

for information, there is no such problem for volume retention:
next_vol.c :
   if ((mr->LastWritten + mr->VolRetention) < (utime_t)time(NULL)
everything is utime_t = int64_t
  so, there is here no problem

it would be nice to have for retention a keyword like "infinite".

The solution I have found is to set AutoPrune = no for the client, and to set
  pruning for files, jobs and volumes for the jobs which need it.

Any other suggestion ?

Thx