Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] REPLACE BSMTP with other mail program

2008-10-21 11:55:02
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] REPLACE BSMTP with other mail program
From: Allan Black <Allan.Black AT btconnect DOT com>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 16:52:06 +0100
John Lockard wrote:
> If your problem is authentication or encryption then I would
> suggest you check out msmtp (http://msmtp.sourceforge.net/).

It may turn out to be a simpler solution than that (hopefully!)

> On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 07:21:07AM +0200, Peter Herrington wrote:
>> My Clarkconnect server's email server component,postfix is configured to
>> OUTBOUND RELAY to my ISP mail server
>> Because that was the only way I could get my emails from my LAN to the
>> intended recipients on the internet.

.... because very few mail servers will accept email from the IP ranges
allocated to ISPs as dynamic addresses (an anti-SPAM measure). I had to
configure sendmail in a similar way to get outgoing email to work.

Try making the same change to sendmail as you did to postfix. Add your
ISP's mail server as the sendmail "Smart" relay host, by appending it to
the DS line (no spaces) in sendmail.cf

In order to make the ISP's relay accept the outgoing email I had to ensure
that the message was "From" a email address which was registered with the
ISP, i.e. my primary email account name, or one of the additional accounts
which some ISPs let you create.

Allan