Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Jobs blocking Bacula for days!!

2008-10-14 10:05:24
Subject: [Bacula-users] Jobs blocking Bacula for days!!
From: Stefan Sorin Nicolin <bacula AT nicolinux DOT org>
To: bacula-users <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 15:43:47 +0200
Hi,

back in june I asked about a problem with the SD failing to move on
after encountering connection problems with the clients (no response)
http://marc.info/?l=bacula-users&m=121240588225534&w=2

Now I've hit this nasty situation again. Bacula got stuck for 3 whole
days (for a production system this a very bad) because there was
nobody around to insert a tape when requested. Every other jobs piled
up and waited for the first to fail. Is there _ANY_ way to solve this?
It seems though that at least one similar scenario is annoying other
people too:
http://marc.info/?l=bacula-users&m=118772113014249&w=2

Relevant facts:
Bacula version 2.4.2 runing on Debian.
bacula-dir.conf contains:
   FDConnectTimeout = 3 min
   SDConnectTimeout = 5 min

All clients configs (bacula-fd.conf) contain:
   SDConnectTimeout = 2 minute

I am aware of the "ClientConnectWait" and "MaximumOpenWait" directives
(that I didn't change) and I wonder why the heck the defaults do not
kick in when the time exceeds?
My bacula setup feels brittle - I don't trust it anymore :(

I'd be very grateful for any help.
Thanks

Stefan Sorin Nicolin
http://nicolinux.org

---
Unix guy, Mac head, Rails wannabe,
computer science alumnus, usability
guesspert and overall big time visionary