Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Alert: TapeAlert[25]:Undefined.

2008-10-14 00:20:37
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Alert: TapeAlert[25]:Undefined.
From: "Danz Aurora" <get.aurora AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Arno Lehmann" <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 12:17:35 +0800
Hi Arno:

>As you actually get TapeAlterts regarding the SCSI interfaces, I would
>recommend trying a different cable and terminator anyway.

Firstly, sorry for late replies. I was busy with other stuffs. I've asked for an exchange of the cable and terminator, the problem still doesn't seem to go away still.

>     scsi 3:0:4:1: Medium Changer    HP       1x8 G2 AUTOLDR   1.70 PQ: 0
>     ANSI: 5
>
>      From lspci:
>     03:02.0 SCSI storage controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic 53c1030
>     PCI-X Fusion-MPT Dual Ultra320 SCSI (rev 07)

That is an HBA I don't have access to. But the LSI controllers and
drivers have a reputation of reliability and very good linux support.

One thing to consider is that using a RAID HBA for tape drives often
doesn't work very well. As I don't know if your HBA does include
internal RAID functions, you should verify that first.

If you find you're using a RAID-enabled HBA, it might be worthwile
trying a different, simpler HBA. Alternatively, you could try to
explicitly disable the RAID functionality - I *believe* this is
possible with the LSI FusionMPT compatible HBAs.

I don't think my HBA have RAID. Its exactly the one listed at:
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantstorage/adapters/133mhz-dual/

64-bit/133 MHz U320 SCSI HBA (PCI-X)

>     My OS is:
>     Debian Sarge Kernel 2.6.22-3-686
>
>     The SCSI card is from Hewlett Packard, but the chipset is LSI. I
>     think i did not install any drivers for it as the OS auto detects
>     the card. Could it be the problem??

I don't think so.

Arno

The OS that i'm using is Debian, but at the HBA support site:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=332403&prodSeriesId=332401&prodTypeId=329290&taskId=135&swLang=8

There are only drivers for Redhat, Suse but not Debian. By default, my Debian auto detect the HBA. Should i install the drivers using the RPM package from Redhat? I'm out of ideas here :(