Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Moving Files

2008-10-09 20:03:08
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Moving Files
From: "Dupree, Craig" <cdupree AT austin.utexas DOT edu>
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 19:01:10 -0500
>> Why?  Shouldn't bacula treat these as a newly created directory with new
>> files in it, and back them up?    This is a big burden requiring people
>> to remember whether they should use cp or mv to move files.  Besides
>> this, and the disk space issue, mv is a simple pointer redirection, and
>> might be faster than a cp depending on how high in the tree you are
>> working on.
>
> These apply only to incremental and differential backups.  Those files
> will be backed up on the next full backup.

Yes, but what if someone moves the directory 1 day after the Full, and it's
another 29 or 30 until the next full?  Potentially if you needed to restore the
name change could be missed, only to be found later when something breaks
because the new directory isn't there.  Will changes to the files at least be
noticed?  Even then, what would I get if I restored?  Would I get the new files
in the old path name?  Or will bacula finally take not of the new name.