Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Moving Files

2008-10-09 20:01:14
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Moving Files
From: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
To: "Dupree, Craig" <cdupree AT austin.utexas DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2008 19:57:19 -0400
Dan Langille wrote:
> Dupree, Craig wrote:
>> Looking  through the current HTML manual I see:
>>

>> “In addition, if you move a directory rather than copy it, the files in
>> it do not have their modification time (st_mtime) or their attribute
>> change time (st_ctime) changed. As a consequence, those files will
>> probably not be backed up by an Incremental or Differential backup which
>> depend solely on these time stamps. If you move a directory, and wish it
>> to be properly backed up, it is generally preferable to copy it, then
>> delete the original.”
>>

>> and
>>

>> “As noted above, if you move a directory rather than copy it, the files
>> in it do not have their modification time (st_mtime) or their attribute
>> change time (st_ctime) changed. As a consequence, those files will
>> probably not be backed up by an Incremental or Differential backup which
>> depend solely on these time stamps. If you move a directory, and wish it
>> to be properly backed up, it is generally preferable to copy it, then
>> delete the original. Alternatively, you can move the directory, then use
>> the *touch* program to update the timestamps.”
>>

>> Why?  Shouldn’t bacula treat these as a newly created directory with new
>> files in it, and back them up?    This is a big burden requiring people
>> to remember whether they should use cp or mv to move files.  Besides
>> this, and the disk space issue, mv is a simple pointer redirection, and
>> might be faster than a cp depending on how high in the tree you are
>> working on.
>
> These apply only to incremental and differential backups.  Those files
> will be backed up on the next full backup.

I meant to add more.

bacula-fd is not stateful.  It does not know what files were included in
previous backups.  That's why.

Read here: http://www.bacula.org/en/?page=projects

Look for "Item  1:  Accurate restoration of renamed/deleted files" (the
2nd instance on that page).

Work is underway to improve that.