Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] purging data on full disk devices

2008-10-09 08:50:44
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] purging data on full disk devices
From: "Terry L. Inzauro" <tinzauro AT ha-solutions DOT net>
To: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2008 06:51:19 -0500
John Drescher wrote:
>> Terry L. Inzauro wrote:
>>> is there a document that outlines the steps necessary to purge 'older' data
>>> on a disk device that is
>>> full? i understand that my retention levels are not correct, but i wish to
>>> purge data at my
>>> discression until i get it all figured out.
>> You can purge entire volumes only, not select data. If you wish to only
>> purge some data, you need to have multiple volumes and use them in a
>> rotation.
>>
> A word of advice, limit your volume size to 1/10 to 1/20th (or even
> more) of the size of your disk array so that proper volume management
> has a chance to work. Having only a few giant volumes does not play
> well with complex schedules and retention periods.
>
> John

yes, i am seeing that now. thank you for the tip. i was actually
trying to setup volumes based on backup type (full, diff, inc) in
combination with clients. so client1 wold have a volume client1_fulls,
client1_diffs, and client1_incs, but i can't seem to get it working
properly.  i was 'trying' to set it up that way so in the event that i
run into this very same situation, then i would be able to purge
backups of a specific type for only one client and backup type (eg.
purge all of client1_incs) as not to affect the others.

is this setup similar to what you are trying to convey?

best regards,

_Terry