Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Restoring large sets of data

2008-10-08 16:05:29
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Restoring large sets of data
From: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
To: Joe Mannuzza <jmannuzza AT dynamicquest DOT com>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 16:02:04 -0400
On Oct 8, 2008, at 3:57 PM, Joe Mannuzza wrote:

> Dan Langille wrote:

>>> Dan,
>>>
>>> Thanks for the response.  I am unsure at what stage it gets bogged
>>> down.  Is there a way to check after the fact?
>>
>> Not that I can think of.
>>
>>> Also, there were many backups going on at the same time of the
>>> failure- around 40.  Server info: 2 Xeon 5150 @2.66 gigs, 3 gigs
>>> of RAM.
>>
>> Is that normal?  Do you usually run 40 concurrent backups?

> We don't always have that many going, but from 5:00 Pm to 8:00 or
> 9:00 ish we can have up to 45.  We don't have any problems with our
> backups unless a restore is running at the same time.

So you're asking if doing a restore while there are 45 backup jobs are
running might tax the CPU. The answer is yes.

How much this will tax the CPU depends upon too many factors to
discuss in this scope.

>  Is it possible that the de-compression that the Bacula server is
> performing is putting too much load on the CPU (combined with the
> backups)?

Decompression?  By bacula-dir?  There is no decompression done there
AFAIK.  Sometimes bacula-fd can do decompression if you are using
software decompression.

--
Dan Langille
http://langille.org/