Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Retention Periods and Volume Use Duration

2008-10-08 13:10:04
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Retention Periods and Volume Use Duration
From: "John Drescher" <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: "RYAN vAN GINNEKEN" <king AT computerking DOT ca>, bacula-users <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 13:05:01 -0400
On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 11:49 AM, RYAN vAN GINNEKEN <king AT computerking DOT
ca> wrote:
> Hello all i am still having difficulty with retention periods and the like
> could someone kindly help me with this.
>
> Basically for the local intranet i would like bacula to take a full back at
> the first of each month ie (October 1) then incremental each night until the
> first of the next month.  However I would like a separate volume for each
> month and would like to keep 2 months of volumes. Does this make sense?? how
> are other doing this?? I think it is safer to keep 2 volumes in case
> something goes wrong with the new one! ie the only existing volume gets
> pruned purged recycled/overwritten with a corrupt/incomplete backup or
> something!!
>
> Here is my problem bacula is auto creating the volumes very nicely however
> the first volume gets marked as full hopefully this is due to the Volume Use
> Duration setting of 1 month. Is this correct? or should this get marked as
> used? did something else happen like a full harddisk?
>
> The second volume is getting marked as used still hoping this is due to the
> Volume Use Duration setting. However wondering why volume one is full and
> volume two is used? see below
>
> Pool: PaulD-pool
> +---------+------------+-----------+---------+----------------+----------+--------------+---------+------+-----------+------------+---------------------+
> | MediaId | VolumeName | VolStatus | Enabled | VolBytes       | VolFiles |
> VolRetention | Recycle | Slot | InChanger | MediaType  | LastWritten         |
> +---------+------------+-----------+---------+----------------+----------+--------------+---------+------+-----------+------------+---------------------+
> |      44 | PaulD-0044 | Full      |       1 |  9,442,414,325 |        2 |
> 1,900,800 |       1 |    0 |         0 | PaulD-File | 2008-10-02 02:42:07 |
> |      57 | PaulD-0057 | Used      |       1 | 24,748,595,769 |        5 |
> 1,900,800 |       1 |    0 |         0 | PaulD-File | 2008-09-30 02:12:52 |
> +---------+------------+-----------+---------+----------------+----------+--------------+---------+------+-----------+------------+---------------------+
>
> ******HERE IS MY PROBLEM******
>
> Bacula does not seem to be able to reuse the old volume and keeps giving me
> this error why does it not just recycle the first volume 44?? why is it
> calling 57 the oldest volume??
>
> 08-Oct 05:30 miako-dir JobId 1817: Pruning oldest volume "PaulD-0057"
> 08-Oct 05:30 miako-sd JobId 1817: Job PaulD.2008-10-07_02.05.06 waiting.
> Cannot find any appendable volumes.
> Please use the "label"  command to create a new Volume for:
>    Storage:      "PaulD-sd" (/usr/local/backups)
>    Pool:         PaulD-pool
>    Media type:   PaulD-File
>
>>From what I see bacula is doing what it is supposed to do. I mean
PaulD-0057 was last written on 2008-09-30 02:12:52 which means it
still has quite a few days left before the retention period expires.
>>From the docs:

"The Volume Retention record defines the length of time that Bacula
will guarantee that the Volume is not reused counting from the time
the last job stored on the Volume terminated. A key point is that this
time period is not even considered as long at the Volume remains
appendable. The Volume Retention period count down begins only when
the Append status has been changed to some othe status (Full, Used,
Purged, ...). "

http://www.bacula.org/en/dev-manual/Automatic_Volume_Recycling.html

John