Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Possible upcoming feature request - Fileset Template

2008-10-06 22:44:25
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Possible upcoming feature request - Fileset Template
From: terryc <terryc AT woa.com DOT au>
To: Ronald Buder <rbuder AT proficom-ag DOT de>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2008 11:15:37 +1000
Ronald Buder wrote:

> Just a few thoughts from us. Opinions welcome, maybe we are just
> approaching this entirely wrong. However the environment here looks
> somewhat like the scenario described above. We run plenty of Windows
> Server boxes, Solaris and Linux, and for the exotic part AIX and HP-UX.
> The Windows boxes being setup similarily usually require C: and a bunch
> of important directories to be backed up as well as database folders,
> webserver content folders and the likes.

If I'm understanding you correctly, and my limited experience with
Bacula is correct, can I suggest a different mindset. One more fileset,
than OS/boxen orientated.

Use your OS fileset template to backup core/idential file structures,
then have additional filesets to backup the boxen/special application
specific directories.

E.g. for all  MSWin boxen, the template fileset is like
"C:/Documents and Settings/*/My Documents/"

and for specific applications/special user, there is an additional
specific fileset, e.g.
"C:/myob" or
"C:/Program Files/some-application"

Also has the advantage of load splitting/ balancing at the cost of a
second job, but if planned carefully, faster recovery of core
application data as you can recover that data much quicker and first
before you start recovering the non-critical bulk.

I do something similar on our Linux file server where each files
structure is backed up under a seperate fileset. Each fileset relates to
a seperate purpose; aka set1 is shared user data, set2 is image data and
set3 is IT data {:-)

HTH.
--
Terry Collins {:-)}}}}}