Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula documentation

2008-10-03 14:49:24
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula documentation
From: Hemant Shah <hjrrs AT yahoo DOT com>
To: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2008 11:46:38 -0700 (PDT)
--- On Fri, 10/3/08, Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com> wrote:

> From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
> Subject: Bacula documentation
> To: "Hemant Shah" <hjrrs AT yahoo DOT com>
> Cc: "bacula-devel" <bacula-devel AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>,
> "bacula-users" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
> Date: Friday, October 3, 2008, 4:09 AM
> Hello,
>
>   "  I am not sure how the manual is generated, maybe
> adding version in
>      paranthesis after the option would be easy:
>
>     e.g.  IgnoreDir (V3.0.0)
>
>     This way you only have to maintain one manual and if
> someone is reading a
>      manual and is using older version, he/she can easily
> make a decision
>      whether he/she should upgrade to the new version in
> order to use the new
>      option. "
>

> I never cease to be amazed how easy it is to use the words
> "would be easy",
> when yes, it is easy, but it is terribly time consuming.
>
> After about two hours of working with LaTeX, I have put up
> a version of the
> Concepts manual that has the version in the header on each
> page.   I
> personally prefer the old way of doing it, but if a
> majority of users prefer
> seeing the version on each page, I will leave it.  Note,
> however, that
> this "easy" task will undoubtedly take another
> 4-6 hours to implement in all
> the 7 Bacula manuals in each of the three languages.
>
> If I don't hear some significant positive response for
> this new format, I will
> put it back to the old format (section and chapter) in the
> next couple of
> days.
>
> If anyone is tempted to make additional proposals, I will
> be happy to consider
> them, but if you want them to be implemented, please
> include a note along
> with your proposal that says you will implement it, and
> supply a patch that
> corrects our English, German, and French manuals.
>
> Best regards,
>

> Kern
>
> PS: Please, when responding to my Status messages, start a
> new thread, or at a
> minumum do not include the French language email list in
> your response -- it
> just floods them with English that not all of them
> understand.  Thanks :-)

Folks,

  I did not intend to invoke such strong emotions about this. As I had said
that I was not aware of how the manuals were generated, I also use Latex and I
know it is be very difficult to maintain latex files.

Actually, right now I am trying to install TexLive 2008 on one of the systems.

  I always liked how IBM would add the version number besides the options. I
run several versions of the software on our systems and it is always easy to
read the manual and see if the option was supported on a particular version
where I was trying to fix the problem. The release notes has so much other
information and I do not read it more than once.

  I would love to help out but we recently downsized and I am the only one to
maintain 30 servers and 50 workstation over 2 continents.

Hemant Shah
E-mail: hjrrs AT yahoo DOT com