Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Web site down

2008-10-03 07:17:52
Subject: [Bacula-users] Web site down
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>, bacula-devel <bacula-devel AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2008 13:13:38 +0200
Hello,

we, that is, the team of people caring for the bacula.org web server,
noticed an attempted to exposure of information.

The attempt succeeded but only got unimportant information. We believe
this was just a first scan for possible vulnerabilities.

Until we resolve the underlying security problem, the web server will
remain down.

By the way: The vulnerability uses a well-known feature (or rather,
problem) of php. Php is the script language that creates the pages
shown to the user.

It seems that the script, which was, as far as I can tell, donated by
someone a while ago obviously was never checked for security... we do
that now, and we will implement procedures to ensure more security
auditing before we deploy any software in the future.

Thanks for your patience,

Arno Lehmann

--
Arno Lehmann