Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Automatic Recycling Volume

2008-09-30 04:16:02
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Automatic Recycling Volume
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 10:10:43 +0200
Hi,

30.09.2008 03:52, Frederico Argolo wrote:

> hello!!!
>
>    I dont know, why I never can do my Automatic Recycling Volume. When I
> try to execute a backup job:
>
> /29-Set 22:44 backup-dir: Pruning oldest volume "mail-Full-2008-9-12"
> 29-Set 22:44 backup-dir: Pruning oldest volume "mail-Full-2008-9-12"
> 29-Set 22:44 backup-dir: Pruning oldest volume "mail-Full-2008-9-12"
> 29-Set 22:44 backup-sd: Job mail-backup.2008-09-29_22.44.19 waiting.
> Cannot find any appendable volumes.
> Please use the "label"  command to create a new Volume for:
>     Storage:      "mail-storage" (/backup/mail)
>     Media type:   File
>     Pool:         mail-pool-semanal/
>
> When I check my director status (status dir)
> /   XXX Full    mail-backup.2008-09-29_22.44.19 is waiting for an
> appendable Volume/

Ok, so there is no useable volume.

> But I put all the thinks that I read in the manual to recycling the
> volume. Look my conf:
>
> /Job {
>   Name = "mail-backup"
>   Type = Backup
>   Level = Full
>   Client = "mail-fd"
>   FileSet = "mail-fileset"
>   Schedule = "mail-semanal"
>   Storage = "mail-sd"
>   Messages = Standard
>   Pool = "mail-pool-semanal"
>   Priority = 10
>   Write Bootstrap = "/var/bacula/working/mail.bsr"
>   Full Backup Pool = mail-pool-semanal
> }
>
> Pool {
>   Name = "mail-pool-semanal"
>   Pool Type = Backup
>   Recycle = yes                       # Bacula can automatically recycle
> Volumes
>   AutoPrune = yes                     # Prune expired volumes
>   Recycle Oldest Volume = yes

This setting respects the retention periods of jobs and files.

>   Volume Retention = 40d

You want to keep volumes for 40 days

>   Maximum Volumes = 3

Only allow three volumes.

>   Use Volume Once = yes

(deprecated) But only one job per volume, probably run the job daily.

>   Label Format = "mail-${Level}-${Year}-${Month}-${Day}"
>   Accept Any Volume = yes             # write on any volume in the pool
> }/
>

> Some help?

Yes... re-think your retention settings.

If you run the job daily, and want only one job per volume, you'll
need more volumes than the retention time in days.

"Purge Oldest Volume" could be what you really want to use, though I
suggest you better set the retention times and volume numbers so that
it automatically does the right thing.

Arno

> Thanks

Arno Lehmann