Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] making a round hole with a square tool

2008-09-15 09:51:45
Subject: [Bacula-users] making a round hole with a square tool
From: Mike Eggleston <mikeegg1 AT mac DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 08:51:37 -0500
Morning,

I expect soon to need a way to preserve the targets and products of
internal builds. I originally asked if I can use our internal source
code repository for this function (perforce) and was told no. Now I'm
wondering if I can do what I need using bacula. Internally there are many
build machines. Nightly these build machines build the latest version of
an internal application. In the morning, after this build is complete,
many users rsync the newest built application to their workstations
for testing.

I also have a need to follow something like a grandfather-father-son
system of keeping a version of the application around for a period of
time in case the users need to look at a version of the application
from a few days/weeks/months ago to see if a just found problem is in
a previous version.

I'm thinking if I put a bacula client on each build box and start
a backup of the application and its files when the build is complete
on that specific platform, and when a user needs an application they
simply do a restore to their local workstation... this is getting
complicated... maybe it's not a good idea after all.

Mike