Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Error: Unable to position to end of data

2008-09-04 11:49:19
Subject: [Bacula-users] Error: Unable to position to end of data
From: "T. Horsnell" <tsh AT mrc-lmb.cam.ac DOT uk>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2008 17:00:53 +0100
I needed to remove a redundant tapedrive from the tapelibrary used by my
bacula system.
I did a 'bacula stop', did the work, then did a 'bacula start'.
I realised I'd forgotten to unmount the active tapedrive before stopping
bacula, and thought the tape position may have been lost, so I then did
an 'unmount' followed by a 'mount' of the appropriate slot.
Next time Bacula came to use this tape, I got:

04-Sep 12:00 ls3-dir JobId 42: Start Backup JobId 42,
Job=Job1.2008-09-04_12.00.08
04-Sep 12:00 ls3-dir JobId 42: Using Device "LTO4-0"
04-Sep 12:00 ls3-sd JobId 42: Volume "B00012L4" previously written,
moving to end of data.
04-Sep 12:04 ls3-sd JobId 42: Error: Unable to position to end of data
on device "LTO4-0" (/dev/nst0): ERR=dev.c:895 ioctl MTEOM error on
"LTO4-0" (/dev/nst0). ERR=Input/output error.

and bacula proceeded to use the next tape in the library.
Did I provoke the error?

Cheers,
Terry