Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Backup of many many files

2008-09-03 07:20:30
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Backup of many many files
From: Chris Howells <chris AT transitive DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sf DOT net
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2008 12:20:14 +0100
Frank Sweetser wrote:

> That difference strongly suggests to me that a big piece of your performance
> problem is inserting attributes into the catalog.  I'd suggest you look into
> upgrading to 2.4 with the batch insert feature enabled, which should give you
> a big performance boost on inserting attributes.

I wouldn't be so sure. 16 million files is rather a lot for a single job
- it's an average of ~66KB per file for that job. (Although I back up
about 8 million in 9 hours using multilple concurrent jobs, reading from
28 disks concurrently). Backing up small files is inefficient as the
disk has to seek all over the place.

I suggest that you try this first:

time tar cf /dev/null /the/directory/you/are/backing/up

Then you should be able to work out whether its the Netapp limiting the
back up speed, rather than bacula.

--
Chris Howells <chris AT transitive DOT com>
Senior SysAdmin - Transitive Ltd.