Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Concurrent Jobs to Pools on same Storage Device

2008-08-28 06:19:52
Subject: [Bacula-users] Concurrent Jobs to Pools on same Storage Device
From: Martin Reissner <mreissner AT wavecon DOT de>
To: Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 12:19:26 +0200
Hello,

It took me some time to get the hang of baculas concurrency options but
I think I have it mostly figured out now.
The only problem remaining so far is that I have to get parallel jobs to
different pools on the same storage device working if i don't want to
rewrite my complete bacula config.

I have only one physical storage (2TB RAID-10 array) and have 1
(Storage) Device configured in the dir.conf and sd.conf.
On this Device I have several Pools with different Volume Retention
Times (1 week, 2 weeks, 1 month, etc) to account for the differently
scheduled jobs.
As some of my database jobs keep "blocking" the Storage Device for hours
while executing mysqldump with the ClientRunBeforeJob directive it would
be great if I could run other jobs in the meanwhile.

Is it a good idea to define multiple (dummy) Devices on the same Storage
like this or will I run into problems?

## bacula-sd.conf ###########################################
Storage {
  Name = backup1-sd
  SDAddresses = {
    ip = {
      addr = 192.168.23.42
      port = 9103
    }
  }
  WorkingDirectory = "/var/bacula"
  Pid Directory = "/var/run/bacula"
  Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 20
}

Device {
  Name = FileStorage1
  Device Type = File
  Media Type = File
  Archive Device = /backup/bacula
}

Device {
  Name = FileStorage2
  Device Type = File
  Media Type = File
  Archive Device = /backup/bacula
}

## bacula-dir.conf ##########################################
Storage {
  Name = Storage1
  Address = 192.168.23.42
  SDPort = 9103