Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Feature request: Amazon S3 integration

2008-08-25 15:07:24
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Feature request: Amazon S3 integration
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: bacula-devel AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 21:06:21 +0200
On Monday 25 August 2008 19:28:31 Soren Hansen wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 12:01:45PM -0400, Dan Langille wrote:
> > pay more attention to my general suggestion: namely, pick a solution
> > that is Bacula independent.
> >
> >> His idea is a repeat of one of my suggestions, namely teaching Bacula
> >> to interact directly with S3.
> >
> > Great.  :)
>
> You realise that a solution that is bacula independent and a solution
> that teaches Bacula to interact directly with S3 are opposites, right?

Yes.  What interests me is that the solution used for Bacula is not system
dependent.  Obviously something that is Bacula independent requires no new
code in Bacula, but it is rare that we find Bacula independent solutions that
work for all systems ...

> > But my understanding is it involves write a driver which confirms to
> > the  API.  Much like writing a SCSI interface to S3.
>
> Um.. No. It's not like writing a SCSI interface to S3 at all. As someone
> else pointed out, the semantics of interfacing with a tape drive and S3
> are very different. I'm not saying it couldn't be done, but it would be
> a horrible hack, and would be useless for anything but applications that
> deal with tapes, so you've won absolutely nothing.
>
> Even interfacing with S3 and a filesystem is different. AFAIK, you can't
> open a "file" on S3 and seek back and forth in it and access it
> randomly.

My understanding (rather limited at this point) is that you can open a file on
S3 and seek back and forth in it and access it randomly.  There may be
certain restrictions on writing to it such as always adding, but as I
understand it, it is much like a filesystem.

> Also, which API are you referring to? Bacula's or S3's?

I am referring to the S3 API.  Bacula doesn't really have an API or at least
it is not defined.  What the current trunk has is a much easier way of adding
additional "device" drivers (it currently has tape, disk, DVD, and vtape
drivers).  To implement S3 one must add a new s3 driver in Bacula, plus
probably a few additional directives so that the user can properly identify
himself to the s3 system and get logged in, probably with a password -- I'm
not sure about the details.

Kern