Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Copying huge data between distant systems using bacula

2008-08-22 08:28:22
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Copying huge data between distant systems using bacula
From: Steen <blist AT beckmeyer DOT dk>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 13:56:13 +0200
On Friday 22 August 2008 11:42:34 Vladislav Korotkov wrote:
> Every day I have about 320GB new data to backup to tapes. These tapes
> are collected and once in 5-9 weeks are transported to a very distant
> region. My task is to organize the whole process and make it as
> convenient as possible. As you see it's not a usual data backup, it's a
> some kind of copying data.
>

> I have 4 Servers (SRV1+TM1 and SRV2+TM2) + 2 IBM TS3100 libraries (LIB1
> and LIB2). LIB1 is connected to TM1. TM1 also holds Bacula-{sd,dir}.
> SRV1 generates data and I am planning to set bacula-fd there.
>
> LIB1+TM1+SRV1 are in Moscow, LIB2+TM2+SRV2 are in the distant region
> (~4000 miles away). There is NO persistent and even 95% reliable
> internet link between the sites.
>
> TM1 and TM2 do not have a storage capacity to even store the content of
> one tape (800GB). While SRV1 and SRV2 have enough storage capacity. The
> task is to move data from SRV1 to SRV2.
>

> What is your recommendation of bacula configuration in this case? I am
> new to this piece of software, so I will be glad to hear your
> recommendations.
>
> What concerns me most is that second bacula installation (which I am
> going to install in the distant region) will not have a chance to work
> with a shared (with the 1st bacula) catalog, so I will have to use bscan
> and bextract. And that means, that I won't be able to bring bacula-fd,
> which is bad, because TM2 doesn't have the storage capacity to store the
> content of a tape. Maybe there is some way to use bacula-fd?
>

> Thank you in advance.
Difficult to say that Bacula is the best tool for a copy operation, but then,
you may of course need it for backup also.

You don't specify if data is also generated at srv2?

If not, then you could bring the catalog along with the tapes, delete catalog
at remote place, read in fresh catalog from Moscow and go on restoring the
fresh tapes from Moscow to Srv2.

I don't understand what the problem is with TM2 not having disk space?
Why not restore directly to Srv2?

If you generate data at remote place also, then maybe you could use two
catalogs at remote place and use one of them as mentioned above.

Steen

--
Regards

Steen