Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bacula-dir.conf help please

2008-08-21 16:21:33
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bacula-dir.conf help please
From: Mike Eggleston <mikeegg1 AT mac DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 15:21:23 -0500
On Thu, 21 Aug 2008, Mike Eggleston might have said:

> Hi,
>
> I'm installing my first client on a mac (leopard) laptop and find that I
> may have mis-understood how the Exclude and WildDir parameters work. I'm
> trying to tune the client on the mac to only get the user's documents
> and not everything (everything is easy to get). What I have so far is:
>
> # backup files on a mac box
> File Set {
>   Name = Mac-Files
>   Ignore Fileset Changes = yes
>   Include {
>     Options {
>       signature = MD5
>       Exclude = yes
>       IgnoreCase = yes
>
>       # Exclude Mac's Mail cached files (can be pulled from the main server)
>       WildDir = "/Users/*/Library/Mail/*/INBOX/"
>
>       # Exclude application cache of files
>       WildDir = "/Users/*/Library/Caches/"
>
>       # Exclude printer definitions
>       WildDir = "/Users/*/Library/Printers/"
>
>       # Exclude downloaded files
>       WildDir = "/Users/*/Downloads/"
>
>       # Exclude music files
>       WildDir = "/Users/*/Music/"
>
>       # Exclude movie files
>       WildDir = "/Users/*/Movie/"
>
>       # Exclude RSS feeds
>       WildDir = "/Users/*/Library/PubSub/Feeds/*"
>
>       # Exclude other directories
>       WildDir = "/.journal/"
>       WildDir = "/.fsck/"
>       WildDir = "/.cpan/"
>       WildDir = "/.fseventsd/"
>       WildDir = "/cores/"
>       WildDir = "/opt/"
>       WildDir = "/root/"
>       WildDir = "/tmp/"
>       WildDir = "/usr/"
>       WildDir = "/var/"
>     }
>     File = /etc
>     File = /Users
>     File = /Library/Preferences
>     File = /Library/PreferencePanes
>     File = /Library/Security
>   }
> }
>
> My goal is to not get all the cached mail from Mail, not to get any files
> from Caches, nor Printer/Music/Movie/RSS files.  I do want everything else
> (I think) under /Users.
>
> One of my test cases is if I get (bad) or don't get (good) the cached
> user messages in /Users/*/Mail/*/INBOX/*. Really I think it's good to
> get the Mail configuration, but I don't want all the locally cached files.
>
> Will someone please help me see where I've mis-configured the above?
>
> Mike

Hi again,

This File Set seems to work:

# backup files on a mac box
File Set {
  Name = Mac-Files
  Ignore Fileset Changes = yes
  Include {
    Options {
      signature = MD5
      ACL Support = yes
      HFSPlus Support = yes
      Exclude = yes
      IgnoreCase = yes

      # Exclude Mac's Mail cached files (can be pulled from the main server)
      WildDir = "/Users/*/Library/Mail/*/INBOX/"

      # Exclude application cache of files
      WildDir = "/Users/*/Library/Caches"
      WildDir = "/Users/*/Library/Cookies"
      WildDir = "/Users/*/Library/Icons"
      WildDir = "/Users/*/Library/Recent Servers"
      WildDir = "/Library/Caches"
      WildDir = "/Library/Cookies"
      WildDir = "/Library/Icons"
      WildDir = "/Library/Recent Servers"

      # Exclude printer definitions
      WildDir = "/Users/*/Library/Printers"

      # Exclude downloaded files
      WildDir = "/Users/*/Downloads"

      # Exclude music files
      WildDir = "/Users/*/Music"

      # Exclude movie files
      WildDir = "/Users/*/Movie"

      # Exclude RSS feeds
      WildDir = "/Users/*/Library/PubSub/Feeds"

      # Exclude cached mail messages
      WildDir = "/Users/*/Library/Mail/*/INBOX"

      # Exclude other directories
      WildDir = "/.journal/"
      WildDir = "/.fsck/"
      WildDir = "/.cpan/"
      WildDir = "/.fseventsd/"
      WildDir = "/cores/"
      WildDir = "/opt/"
      WildDir = "/root/"
      WildDir = "/tmp/"
      WildDir = "/usr/"
      WildDir = "/var/"
    }
    File = /etc
    File = /Users
    File = /Library/Preferences
    File = /Library/PreferencePanes
    File = /Library/Security
  }
}

On the mac laptop I used this plist:
(my binaries are stored at /opt/bacula, change as needed)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN"
"http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd";>
        <dict>
                <key>Label</key>
                <string>org.bacula.bacula-fd</string>
                <key>ServiceDescription</key>
                <string>Client (file director) daemon for the Bacula network
backup system</string>
                <key>Disabled</key>
                <false/>
                <key>RunAtLoad</key>
                <true/>
                <key>LowPriorityIO</key>
                <true/>
                <key>Program</key>
                <string>/opt/bacula/sbin/bacula-fd</string>
                <key>ProgramArguments</key>
                <array>
                        <string>bacula-fd</string>
                        <string>-c</string>
                        <string>/opt/bacula/etc/bacula-fd.conf</string>
                </array>
        </dict>
</plist>

and these commands:

$ sudo cp org.bacula.bacula-fd /Library/LaunchDaemons
$ launchctl load /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.bacula.bacula-fd
$ launchctl list
    * verifying that bacula is there
$ launchctl start org.bacula.bacula-fd
$ ps -ef | grep bacula