Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Merge multiple backups (Synthetic Backup or Consolidation

2008-08-20 10:46:21
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Merge multiple backups (Synthetic Backup or Consolidation
From: Alan Brown <ajb2 AT mssl.ucl.ac DOT uk>
To: Ryan Novosielski <novosirj AT umdnj DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 15:43:53 +0100 (BST)
On Wed, 20 Aug 2008, Ryan Novosielski wrote:

> One thing I've always wondered about this -- how does this work? You
> need to back up all of the files at least once. Does this just save you
> from, down the line, needing to restore from hundreds of incrementals? I
> guess this could be irritating (and impossible depending on your
> retention schedule), but it can't possible save one from EVER doing a
> full backup as there are some files that start out on the system that
> will never change.

Merged backups always require access to the old tapes, but they have the
advantage of collating incrementals without tying up the backup client for
long periods (A full back up of 1Tb takes about a day here) and are useful
in lowering bandwidth on WAN connections.

In order to make a merged backup, you _must_ start with a full backup
somewhere along the line...

AB