Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Resuming backups

2008-08-19 06:43:43
Subject: [Bacula-users] Resuming backups
From: "Michael Winiberg" <mike AT islesofscilly-travel.co DOT uk>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 10:47:51 +0100
Hi,

I realise this has probably been discussed before, but I am wondering
whether there is yet any
Way to cope with a dropped connection part way through a backup? I am
backing up some remote machines with bacula 2.2.8 (to disk, not tape).
I've reduced the stuff to be backed up to the absolute minimum, but it
still comes to about 4Gb for a full backup (which takes about 24 hours
over a 512K link). However, as it is rare for the link to stay up for
that long, I regularly get 3.999999999Gb failed backups. Some questions
therefore arise:

1. Is it possible to access the files that were backed up before the
link failed? I can't seem to find a way to do so, but the disk space is
certainly occupied! This is also annoying because, even though the full
backup failed, the next series of incremental backups runs as normal, ie
bacula doesn't seem to realise that there isn't a full backup in the
catalogue, until you try to restore something of course! The catalogue
reports the number of files and space taken by the failed job, but won't
allow you to list or restore them.

2. Is there any way to resume a backup from where it left off (or is
there likely to be?) From my point of view it would be quite acceptable
to have an option to suspend all backup activity until the link could be
re-established so that there was no problem with files getting
intermixed. Alternatively one could store the current state of the
backup at the client end, add all files successfully transferred so far
to the catalogue (to save wasting the effort expended so far) and then
get the client to restart with the file in which the link was lost once
the link is re-established. Doing it that way would allow recovery even
with concurrent backups running. I'm willing to provide some programming
resource towards doing this if you think it's practical in view of the
way bacula works internally.

Sorry if I'm reopening a debate or have missed something obvious in the
most recent release, but this seems to me to be a major failing in this
otherwise excellent system and I'm willing to help do something about it
if thought practical...

Regards

Mike Winiberg