Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Reasonable conf: Win fileset for workstatons

2008-08-19 06:24:48
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Reasonable conf: Win fileset for workstatons
From: Kjetil Torgrim Homme <kjetilho AT linpro DOT no>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 12:24:31 +0200
Alex Ehrlich <Alex.Ehrlich AT mail DOT ee> writes:
> So the proposed FileSet aims to backup: My Documents, the contents
> of the Desktop (as many users tend to store their documents just at
> the desktop), IE Favorites, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express
> settings and data, Thunderbird settings and data, Firefox
> profiles. IE and Firefox cache shall be excluded, of course; also
> some space wasters like iTunes shall not be backed up.
> The file locations are "default for Win2K/XP/2K3". For Vista/2K8 there
> are different default base directories used, but let's exclude this
> part for simplicity now.
> [...]
>       WildDir = "c:/Documents and Settings/All Users"

you're not using Estonian Windows?  all these paths will vary based on
the language of the installed software.  I would be wary of using such
a fileset, since it very easily will miss important files.  I'd keep
it simple, and only exclude certain filetypes, like *.mp3 and *.wmv.

for image based OS installations, the Base level backup would be a
good way to avoid wasting space on duplicated OS files, but I don't
know the status of that feature (AFAIK it's not functional yet).

--
Kjetil T. Homme
Linpro AS