Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Count Based Retention

2008-08-14 11:08:31
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Count Based Retention
From: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
To: John Yates <yates AT flatiron DOT com>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 11:08:17 -0400
John Yates wrote:

> I should have mentioned some of my other concerns:  I also want to
> arrange to automatically delete the disk files that contain expired
> (is this the correct terminology?) backups.  I have set up volume
> labeling to contain the job name and date, and it appears that when
> bacula recycles a disk volume, it doesn't relabel it, so in order to
> get the "correct" label, I need to delete old backup files rather than
> recycle them.

Why do you need to delete them?

Seriously, it does not matter what the Volume is labelled.  It is merely
a label.  Consider not doing that and make your life easier.  :)

> Therefore, I am writing a script to look for expired disk backup files
> and delete them.  This makes expiring backups by count more
> important.  Also, at least for me, I seems the more natural way to
> think about how to decide when to expire a backup.

Sounds like extra work and the introduction of possible problems related
to deletion of the wrong Volume.  Recycling, as intended, avoids this issue.