Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Count Based Retention

2008-08-14 10:10:02
Subject: [Bacula-users] Count Based Retention
From: John Yates <yates AT flatiron DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 08:09:46 -0600
Is there any way to get Bacula to expire backup jobs based on a count
of existing jobs of the same type rather than by how old each job of a
type is?  I am currently running a job every night that backs up to
disk, and I want to keep the two most recent ones.  If it set the
retention period to two days, that should ususall do the right thing,
but if, for example, I shut off all my computers and go on vacation
for a week, when I come back, my backups will all be expired -- not
what I want.

I suspect that what many, if not most, people really want is to keep a
specific number of old backups, not any that are more recent than a
certain date.  Is there some way to make bacula work this way?  The
Storix backup product that I have used can do this.

John