Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] First try with Bacula, and some questions about Pools and Schedules.

2008-08-05 06:33:55
Subject: [Bacula-users] First try with Bacula, and some questions about Pools and Schedules.
From: Javino <esencia AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 12:33:19 +0200
Hi all, this is my first post to the list... thanks for reading and helping!

I've setup a Debian 4.0 box with Bacula 2.4.2 from source following the wiki howto about Debian + Bacula + Mysql. [1]

All is working well from default, I've setup the tape (HP StorageWorks 920 - Ultrium3 SCSI Internal) [2] and buy a set of blank tapes for the backup system, that's it:

5 tapes for each day of the week, cycling this set of tapes each week of the month. (Using AutoPrune and Volume Retention)

5 tapes for each saturday of the month, cycling this set of tapes each month of the year (Using AutoPrune and Volume Retention)

12 tapes for each month of the year (1st monday of the month), cycling this set of tapes each year. (Using Autoprune and Volumen Retention too)

This is the theory, yeah...

I wrote all the configs in bacula-dir.conf, but it's time to put the system online and I've some questions.

I've defined a set of Pools for the weekly cycle in the bacula-dir.conf (MondayPool, TuesdayPool, .....)  and a set of Pools for the monthly cycle (Saturday1Pool, Saturday2Pool, ....) and a pool for the year cycle (JanPool, FebPool, ....).

My question is how can I assign this sets of pools to the blanktapes, I need to label all the tapes at the beginning (how?) or there are an automatic way for doing this (bash?) ?

All the backups are Full Backups of a location in the same machine (a raid 5 of 2,5TB), for now I've only 50GB of space used, but... if the space used were more than the Tape capacity, how can I add a Tape to fill those GB? And how can I label this tape for not break my Backup configuration?

Maybe it's a little bit confusing task for me now...

Best regards

Javier

##
[1] http://wiki.bacula.org/doku.php?id=howto_compile_and_install_bacula_on_debian_4.0_etch