Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Restoring an old archive (1.0)

2008-08-02 13:47:22
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Restoring an old archive (1.0)
From: Frank Sweetser <fs AT WPI DOT EDU>
To: Ron <ron.11235 AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2008 13:47:08 -0400
Ron wrote:
> I have several Bacula "disk" archives from 2004 (Bacula 1.0). They have
> been stored on all of: ext2/3 & fat/ntfs.
>
>       38.9 mb - tiwiiBinLibSbin-0002
>       10.6 mb - tiwiiBoot-0002
>       7.3 mb - tiwiiEtcRoot-0002
>       764 mb - tiwiiHome-0002
>       2.0 gb - tiwiiOpt-0002
>       2.0 gb - tiwiiOpt-0003
>       2.0 gb - tiwiiOpt-0004
>       2.0 gb - tiwiiOpt-0005
>       2.0 gb - tiwiiOpt-0006
>       2.0 gb - tiwiiOpt-0007
>       2.0 gb - tiwiiOpt-0008
>       2.0 gb - tiwiiOpt-0009
>       2.0 gb - tiwiiOpt-0010
>       1.1 gb - tiwiiUsr-0002
>       1.1 gb - tiwiiVar-0002
>
> On Ubuntu, I did a minimum install (bacula-client, bacula-common,
> bacula-console, bacula-fd & bacula-sd... to get at bextract).
>
> When I run "bextract" ($bextract tiwiiHome-0002 /tmp), I get:
>
> 02-Aug 09:35 bextract: ERROR TERMINATION at lex.c:735
> Config error: expected a name, got T_EOL: =
>             : line 49, col 20 of file /etc/bacula/bacula-sd.conf
>   Archive Device =
>
> When I run "bls," I get:
>
> 02-Aug 10:07 bls: ERROR TERMINATION at parse_conf.c:829
> Config error: Cannot open config file "/etc/bacula/bacula-sd.conf": No
> such file or directory
>
> QUESTION: Is there a simple way to test/extract files without relearning
> the entire program? If so, can someone point me to a resource? If not,
> how can I go about recovering my files?

I don't believe you need to set up all of Bacula to use bextract.  However,
you do need to at least set up the storage daemon config (that's the
bacula-sd.conf file that bextract is complaining about) so that bextract knows
how to talk to your storage devices.

WPI Senior Network Engineer   |  is simple, elegant, and wrong. - HL Mencken