Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] anyone using non-default block size?

2008-08-01 14:25:03
Subject: [Bacula-users] anyone using non-default block size?
From: Alex Chekholko <chekh AT pcbi.upenn DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 14:24:53 -0400
Hi all,

My LTO-4 drive supports variable block size, up to 2M.  Bacula's default block
size is ~64k.

The bacula manual says "Even in variable block mode, with the exception of the
first record on the second or subsequent volume of a multi-volume backup,
Bacula will write blocks of a fixed size."

I've tried modifying the directive "Maximum block size" in bacula-sd.conf, but
ended up with errors when testing with btape.

Is anyone using non-default block sizes in bacula?

The reason I'm asking is that I can get only about 20MB/s to my drive with the
default block size, far short of the performance one expects from LTO-4.  More
details here:
http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/833003030931/m/548000932931
http://www.adsm.org/lists/html/Bacula-users/2008-05/msg00504.html

Regards,