Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bug #1134

2008-07-31 17:06:21
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bug #1134
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: Scott Barninger <scott AT barninger DOT com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 23:05:52 +0200
On Thursday 31 July 2008 22:27:11 Scott Barninger wrote:
> Hello Kern,
>
> It is true this is a packaging issue and it is true that bconsole in the
> project rpm packages can not be executed by a script since it's
> permissions are set root,root. I'm not sure I call that a bug. Should a
> script be able to execute the console?

I don't think it is a bug either, but it is something I never really thought
about.  If you do a make install running as root, then Bacula can execute a
script which can call bconsole, and it can be very useful for certain
operations.

I am not 100% sure about the security implications, which is one of the
reasons I asked you to "take a look at it" rather than "please fix it". My
basic instinct is to not change anything, because I am nervous about having a
non-restricted console executable by anyone other than root unless the
SysAdmin explicitly permits it.  That way, we ship something that we know
doesn't have an unexpected security problem.

I've copied the bacula-users list as Jason suggested, so that if there are any
good arguments for changing the current behavior, we can take them into
account.

Best regards,

Kern

=========== Excerpt of bug #1134 ==========

Summary
0001134: wrong rights on /usr/sbin/bconsole: can't use it in RunBeforeJob /
RunAfterJob

Description
% ls -l /usr/sbin/bconsole
-rwxr-xr-- 1 root root 245328 Jul 23 13:58 /usr/sbin/bconsole

So bacula user can't run this binary, for instance via script shell(s) in
RunBeforeJob or RunAfterJob.

This binary should have bacula as group and be executable by this group.

Steps To Reproduce
- download and install bacula-2.4.1-1.src.rpm

- build binary RPM:
% % rpmbuild -bb --define "build_centos5 1" \
             --define "build_mysql5 1" \
             --define "build_python 1" \
             bacula.spec