Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bacular-dir dead but pid file exists

2008-07-31 07:39:23
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bacular-dir dead but pid file exists
From: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
To: wilfred AT starmail.co DOT za
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 07:39:01 -0400
Please remember to CC the list, and to answer all questions asked.  :)

See below for inline replies.

On Jul 31, 2008, at 2:55 AM, wilfred AT starmail.co DOT za wrote:

>> On Jul 30, 2008, at 10:02 AM, wilfred AT starmail.co DOT za wrote:
>>
>>> Whenever I try to check my bacula daemon status I get the following
>>> output:
>>> bacula-dir dead but pid file exists,
>>> Can anyone who has encountered this problem help me out.
>>

>> I have not encountered it, but I think I know some information which
>> may be useful.
>>
>> What OS are you using?

> I'm using the latest Mandriva 2008 Spring edition,
>

>> What version of Bacula?

> and I'm using bacula-2.4.2 version.
>

>> Please paste the command you are using and the output it produces.
>>
> the command I'm used is:
> [root@localhost bacula]# ./bacula status
> bacula-sd (pid 20367) is running...
> bacula-fd (pid 20377) is running...
> bacula-dir dead but pid file exists
>

>> Does the PID file exist?
>>
>> Does the PID it contain relate to a running process?
>>
>> Is bacula-dir running?
>>
>>> do you know where should I start configuring my bacula
>>> files,please help.

Oh, it sounds now like you are just setting up Bacula.  That is
useful information.

I suspect bacula-dir is failing on startup.  I suspect a database issue.

If you start bacula-dir manually with a -f and -d 9 options, you
should see the messages relating to your problem.

--
Dan Langille -- http://www.langille.org/