Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] How is diff/inc file list is determined?

2008-07-25 14:45:32
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] How is diff/inc file list is determined?
From: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
To: edavison AT gmail DOT com
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 11:45:08 -0400
Ed Davison wrote:
> I have a question that I am forwarding from my boss.  There are files
> that are backed up daily with a differential or incremental depending on
> the schedule.  On Windows, certain files have the archive bit set on
> them when they are modified.  When a Group Policy is applied, it changes
> the archive bit on a LOT of files that are otherwise not modified except
> for something like a security permission, etc.  Even if the permission
> is the same it is still applied by Windows and the archive bit is set.
>
> I have already scoured the manuals and cannot find any answer to my
> question as well as the online wiki and other resources.
>
> Does bacula use the archive bit to determine what to include in a
> differential/incremental or

No

> does it correctly use date/time of
> modification to determine what to include?

Yes.

Look here: http://www.bacula.org/en/rel-manual/Configuring_Director.html

Under Incremental:

The File daemon (Client) decides which files to backup for an
Incremental backup by comparing start time of the prior Job (Full,
Differential, or Incremental) against the time each file was last
"modified" (st_mtime) and the time its attributes were last
"changed"(st_ctime). If the file was modified or its attributes changed
on or after this start time, it will then be backed up.