Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Specify volume in schedule

2008-07-25 06:13:24
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Specify volume in schedule
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 12:12:54 +0200
Hello,

24.07.2008 22:41, Kanuvar wrote:
> newbies cuestion
> Hello, I have a server making backups of various machines linux and windows,
> and everything stored in a hardrive. Recently wi bought an IBM Ultrium LTO3
> to make backups of some recordings of our asterisk server and other tings.
> The idea:
> Having two tapes, one for full and one for incremental, are approximately
> 190gb in sound files throughout the year, the idea would be to keep the tape
> with the full backup as an historic. In that way, does not have to
> manipulate the tapes with the bulk of the recording.
> The first condition is that minimally retain the first tape one year.
> And never ask me the first tape to make the incrementals
> At the end of the year, migrating all incremental to the first tape
>
> How?:
> The first thing that occurred to me, is to make a schedule that allows
> specify which volumes should I use.

No. Specifying the tape to use is absolutely against Baculas design.
Use tar if you want that...

> and at year-end a job that migrate recordings of the second tape, to the
> first one.
>
> The questions:
> How can I specify the volume I want to use within the schedule?

You specify the pool.

> Can I migrate the second tape with all the incrementals backups to the
> second tape with the full ?

Yes.

> Are there any other better way?

Create two pools, one for full backups, one for incrementals.

Set the retention times suitably high, or even to "forever". Don't
automatically recycle.

Add one tape to the full pool and one to the incremental pool.

Run a full backup, specifying the full pool as the target.

Store the tape safely (and be aware that many people - including me -
believe that it's wise to have more than one full backup lying around...).

Schedule incrementals to happen whenever you want them.

At the end of the year, run two migration jobs to 1. move all data
from the incremental tape to a temporary pool on the disk, and 2. move
from that temporary pool to the full tape pool.

Disable or set to "Used" the full tape, so Bacula will not
automatically use it again.

Recycle your incremental tape, buy a new tape and add it to the full
tape pool, run a full backup again and let Bacula do it's incrementals
as scheduled.

Arno

--
Arno Lehmann