Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Windows backup job doesn't stop running

2008-07-19 05:13:44
Subject: [Bacula-users] Windows backup job doesn't stop running
From: Bernard Grymonpon <bernard AT openminds DOT be>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 11:13:10 +0200
Hi all,

We experience a strange problem when running backup-jobs on one of our
windows machines (client is windows, server is linux, debian + bacula
2.4.1). We backup multiple windows machines with this setup, and all
others run fine.

The sympthoms:

When starting a backup, everything goes fine. The job starts running,
on the windows I see a VSS snapshot being created (vssadmin list
shadows), and files come in. Once "done", this is the result:

st dir output:

Running Jobs:
  JobId Level   Name                       Status
   2289 Increme  srv07-bru.2008-07-19_10.03.03 is running
====

st storage output:

Terminated Jobs:
  JobId  Level    Files      Bytes   Status   Finished        Name
....(snip)...
   2289  Incr     12,237    3.029 G  OK       19-Jul-08 10:17 srv07-bru
====

st client output:

Running Jobs:
Director connected at: 19-Jul-08 11:07
No Jobs running.
====

Terminated Jobs:
  JobId  Level    Files      Bytes   Status   Finished        Name
....(snip)....
   2289  Incr     12,237    3.026 G  OK       19-Jul-08 10:17 srv07-bru
====

So, both the SD and the FD indicate the job as done; and somehow, the
job does not end. Other jobs on the server finish normally, so nothing
seems wrong with the server setup. If we wait a while, the job
terminates eventually, but in an error state, and the backup job is
marked as faulty. A bls shows the files in the volume. The VSS
snapshot no longer exists on the client.

We tried a NTBackup on the machine itself, to rule out errors in the
VSS drivers on the machine. This backup runs fine, and generates no
errors. Nothing shows up in the event log,..

Does anyone have some idea's how I could debug this further? Can I get
info on the running job, so I could know what it is waiting for? Any
other angles how I can try to fix this?

Rgds,
Bernard