Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] re store failed - Medium Error?

2008-07-18 15:48:50
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] re store failed - Medium Error?
From: ebollengier <eric AT eb.homelinux DOT org>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 12:48:43 -0700 (PDT)

Thomas Mueller-13 wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 12:05:18 -0700, ebollengier wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Your drive can be dirty, are you using smartctl to retrieve drive errors
>> ? Cleaning tape it can help you, but i don't think that you will be able
>> to re-read your
>> tape.
>>
>> You can tell to bacula to skip this media by editing the bsr file, but i
>> think that you won't be able
>> to restore files that are beyong the error. Maybe you can test by using
>> "mt -f /dev/nst0 fsf 15" and
>> see if it's work. (error was on file 14)
>

> thanks, smartctl showd that drive needed cleaning. cleaned and fired up
> bls - the first time it reported an read error. the second time not...
>
> "mt -f /dev/nst0 fsf 15" didn't gave me an error message and also no
> kernel error messages.
>
> so maybe there is some hope left...
>
> - Thomas

After the mt command, you can try to read data with dd for example. You can
also
edit the BSR file to remove all files that are on the 14th file of your
tape.

Just use "run bootstrap=/path/to/bootstrap" to rerun the restore without
selecting anything.
If you drive asks to be cleaned too often, contact your hardware support to
change it.

Bye