Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Improving job scheduling flexibility

2008-07-16 04:04:48
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Improving job scheduling flexibility
From: Bastian Friedrich <bastian.friedrich AT collax DOT com>
To: bacula-devel AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 10:04:28 +0200
Hi Kern,

On Saturday 23 February 2008, Kern Sibbald wrote:
> Hello,
>
> As you know, current job scheduling has a few deficiencies, particular if
> for some reason your backups get blocked (a bad tape driver or operator
> intervention required), which can lead to a big pile of duplicate jobs
> being scheduled.

I am noticing only today that you have in fact implemented some functionality
for this topic discussed in February (I finally take this as a hint to
subscribe to bacula-commits :).

Two comments on the related code:
* You use a variable "DuplicateJobProximity" in job.c that is not available
  for configuration in dird_conf; it is not even initialized... Or am I
  missing something?
* Jobs get canceled based on their job name solely. Wouldn't it be good to
  include some more information, especially the file set? More concrete: A job
  gets canceled if it has the same name and backs up same file set. Possibly,
  even more data could be included for that choice, e.g. destination pool,
  storage, ...

Anyway, I like the overall idea :)

Thx, best regards,
   Bastian

--
Collax GmbH . Burkheimer Straße 3 . 79111 Freiburg . Germany
p: +49 (0) 761-45684-24

Geschäftsführer: William K. Hite / Boris Nalbach
AG München HRB 158898 . Ust.-IdNr: DE 814464942
\ "Die große Frage, die ich trotz meines dreißigjährigen Studiums der
\  weiblichen Seele nicht zu beantworten vermag, lautet: 'Was will
\  eine Frau eigentlich?'"
\          Sigmund Freud