Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Enterprise configuration problems

2008-07-15 05:25:42
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Enterprise configuration problems
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 11:25:21 +0200
Hi,

15.07.2008 02:28, Robert Garza wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>      At my workplace we have three servers setup to handle individual
> tasks, each with a public and "backup" nic for backups as follows:
>
> 1. Bacula director server (with bconsole)
> 2. Bacula db server (postgres)
> 3. Bacula Storage Daemon server (Connected to a SATABeast with 31T of
> storage via Fibre Channel)
>
> Each of the three servers' backup nics are set to 1000Mb.
>
> At present, the issue we are seeing is that when a client is backing up
> to the Storage Daemon, the bconsole program will delay it's results to a
> 'status dir' command for several seconds, eventually display it's
> output.  Is it possible to have the internal messages from the storage
> daemon to the director on a separate interface than what are specified
> in the bacula-dir.conf and bacula-sd.conf files?

No.

But I doubt this is the problem.

When doing a backup, the SD continously sends data to insert into the
catalog to the DIR. This blocks the catalog access for that time.

The DIR, when displaying the status, also needs to access the catalog,
and thus has to wait.

The solution might be to turn on attribute spooling (which might also
improve performance a bit).

Arno

> Regards,
> Robert