Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] automatic recycling does not work

2008-07-13 08:11:58
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] automatic recycling does not work
From: Mike <micholz AT web DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 14:11:47 +0200
On Sonntag, 13. Juli 2008 12:04:06 Ralf Gross wrote:
> Mike schrieb:
> > on my setup, the automatic recacling does not work as i expect it should
> > work. May it is an error in the setup or a missunderstanding of the setup
> > details.
>
> Which bacula version?

Sorry that i did not mentioned it. It bacula 2.2.8 installed on Kubuntu 8.04
(Hardy). and it uses MySQL as catalog backend.

> > What have i done wrong or missing?
>
> Maybe nothing. Bacula reuses volumes only if absolutely necessary,
> that could be the moment when a backup starts and bacula needs an new
> volume. If there are other volumes in state append, bacula will use
> them first.
>
> Have you already seen a backup which should reuse an volume of the odd
> pool fail?

Yes, every change of weeks does not work without manually interaction (in the
past). For tomorrow i purged the volume manually, but i do not for tuesday.
On tuesday i will see whats happen with the tuesday tape. Currently it has
state Used.

>  If you configured bacula correct, it'll recycle the volume
> monday-odd just before it is needed (beginning of the backup).

What do you mean exactly with "If you configured bacula correct"?
Can you give me hint for what i have to take care about?

I read in the bacula online documentation:

 By properly defining your Volume Pools with appropriate Retention periods,
 Bacula can manage the recycling (such as defined above) automatically.

 Automatic recycling of Volumes is controlled by four records in the Pool
 resource definition in the Director's configuration file. These four records
 are:

 AutoPrune = yes
 VolumeRetention = <time>
 Recycle = yes
 RecyclePool = <APool> (This require bacula 2.1.4 or greater)

 The above three directives are all you need assuming that you fill each of
 your Volumes then wait the Volume Retention period before reusing them.

I used this directives in the Pool definitions. Is there any further setup
needed?

--
Regards,
Mike