Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] automatic recycling does not work

2008-07-13 06:04:54
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] automatic recycling does not work
From: Ralf Gross <Ralf-Lists AT ralfgross DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 12:04:06 +0200
Mike schrieb:
> on my setup, the automatic recacling does not work as i expect it should work.
> May it is an error in the setup or a missunderstanding of the setup details.

Which bacula version?

> What have i done? I have 2 pools:
> [...]
> The intention is to have one pool per week (one for even and one for odd
> weeknumbers). For both pools i have 7 tapes. They are labeled with
> sunday-even, monday-even and so on.
>
> In the weeks with even weeknumbers bacula uses the tapes from the pool even.
> This is setup in the corresponding schedule. This works so far.
>
> With this setup i expected, that tapes one day before the next usage expires
> and gets recycled automatically. If i issue "list volumes" all tapes are on
> state Used. At least for monday-odd (seen as of today) it should have the
> state recycled.
>
> What have i done wrong or missing?

Maybe nothing. Bacula reuses volumes only if absolutely necessary,
that could be the moment when a backup starts and bacula needs an new
volume. If there are other volumes in state append, bacula will use
them first.

Have you already seen a backup which should reuse an volume of the odd
pool fail? If you configured bacula correct, it'll recycle the volume
monday-odd just before it is needed (beginning of the backup).

Ralf