Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Mac SCSI

2008-07-10 17:32:54
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Mac SCSI
From: Mikey Orr <morr AT ucsc DOT edu>
To: "Olle Romo" <olleromo AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 14:32:42 -0700
Hey Olle-

I, too, ran into this problem. It comes down to there are no tape
drivers in OS X. So, even if your SCSI bus sees the drive, you aren't
going to be able to write to the drive with OS X. Commercial programs
(like Retrospect) provide their own drivers and don't use any system
level stuff. OS X has decent SCSI support, but has zero SCSI tape
support.

Here's a wiki page from a University using Amanda, which is going to
have the same problem as Bacula under OS X:

https://wiki.brandeis.edu/twiki/bin/view/Bio/
AmandaMacOSXCompileNotes#Running_the_AMANDA_server_compon

The good news is you can still use bacula-sd to write to disk, just
not tape. I do this on several Mac OS X servers and it works like a
charm. The tape drive is hooked up to a linux box, since linux has
excellent tape drive support.

Good luck! =)

-Mikey

On Jul 9, 2008, at 8:58 AM, Olle Romo wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I'm trying to set up Bacula for a small LAN of 8 Macs. I have a DLT-
> S4 SCSI drive and it worked well with the commercial backup program.
> Now as I'm setting up Bacula, I see that it's difficult to connect
> to the tape drive in OS X. It doesn't show up in /dev or anywhere
> else afaics.
> Has anyone had success with this? I've googled a fair bit and it
> seems there is very little support for SCSI in OS X...
>
> Best,
> Olle

Mikey Orr
Core Technologies Unix System Administrator
ITS @ University of California, Santa Cruz
Call me at (831) 459-4222