Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] How to properly manage disk volumes???

2008-07-10 04:37:29
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] How to properly manage disk volumes???
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: "Mingus Dew" <shon.stephens AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 10:36:47 +0200
Hello,

Your best resource for resolving this problem is the manual. For example, if I
am not mistaken, it clearly tells you that the Max Volume Duration is not
designed for ensuring that your volumes are properly recycled.

Since you were describing your problems, it is not really clear what you were
trying to implement, but I suspect that if you read the chapter
entitled "Automated Disk Backup" in the manual, it probably does much of what
you are looking for.  That particular scheme has been continuously running
for something like four years now with no failures, the only intervention was
early on to add a second disk because their usage increased significantly
after about a year, to upgrade Bacula from time to time, an upgrade from
SQLite2 to SQLite3, a change of backup server hardware (newer machine), and
an increase in the retention periods because their total file usage has
decreased ...   The scheme documented in that chapter uses no external
scripts for managing the volumes.

Kern