Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] How to properly manage disk volumes???

2008-07-09 18:26:48
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] How to properly manage disk volumes???
From: Hemant Shah <hjrrs AT yahoo DOT com>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>, Mingus Dew <shon.stephens AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 15:26:35 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Wed, 7/9/08, Mingus Dew <shon.stephens AT gmail DOT com> wrote:

> From: Mingus Dew <shon.stephens AT gmail DOT com>
> Subject: [Bacula-users] How to properly manage disk volumes???
> To: "bacula-users" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
> Cc: "Kern Sibbald" <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
> Date: Wednesday, July 9, 2008, 4:50 PM
> All,
>     I have been running Bacula in production for over a
> year now, and have
> upgraded through 3 versions to 2.4.0. All this time
> I've had an issue
> managing disk Volumes. I have posted many times before
> asking for assistance
> with this issue. The first issue I encountered was using
> the "Max Volume
> Duration" setting to have each Volume only be used for
> 7 days, then marked
> as Used. However, I would run into this issue
>
> The job starts:
> 03-Mar 20:00 back4.director JobId 1951: Start Backup JobId
> 1951,
> Job=www1.client_Daily_Disk.2008-03-03_20.00.12
> 03-Mar 20:00 back4.director JobId 1951: Using Device
> "My_ZFS_Storage"
>
> The troubles start:
> 03-Mar 20:00 back4.director JobId 1951: Max configured use
> duration
> exceeded. Marking Volume "My_Disks-3" as Used.
> 03-Mar 20:00 back4.director JobId 1951: There are no more
> Jobs associated
> with Volume "My_Disks-4". Marking it purged.
> 03-Mar 20:00 back4.director JobId 1951: All records pruned
> from Volume
> "My_Disks-4"; marking it "Purged"
> 03-Mar 20:00 back4.director JobId 1951: Recycled volume
> "My_Disks-4"
> 03-Mar 20:00 back4.storage JobId 1951: Fatal error:
> acquire.c:366 Wanted to
> append to Volume "My_Disks-4", but device
> "My_ZFS_Storage"
> (/mnt/backup1/mydisks/bacula) is busy writing on
> "My_Disks-3" .
> 03-Mar 20:00 www1.client JobId 1951: Fatal error:
> ../../filed/job.c:1811 Bad
> response to Append Data command. Wanted 3000 OK data
> , got 3903 Error append data
>
> And this continues for any other jobs with this schedule:
>
> 03-Mar 20:01 back4.storage JobId 1950: Fatal error:
> acquire.c:366 Wanted to
> append to Volume "My_Disks-4", but device
> "My_ZFS_Storage"
> (/mnt/backup1/mydisks/bacula) is busy writing on
> "My_Disks-3" .
> 03-Mar 20:01 www2.mentora JobId 1950: Fatal error:
> ../../filed/job.c:1811
> Bad response to Append Data command. Wanted 3000 OK data
> , got 3903 Error append data
>
> Basically the Volume expires in the middle of job runs, and
> subsequent jobs
> fail. I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO SOLVE THIS ISSUE AT ALL and
> I've gotten no
> help either. Its kind of frustrating, but I've kept
> plugging away.
>
> To keep this from happening, I removed the "Max Volume
> Duration" setting and
> [...]

If you are writing to a disk, why re-cycle the volume?
I also backup to disk, but I do not recycle the volume, I have a separate file
for each backup of the client and I use timestamp in the volume name so every
volume name is unique. I have also set AutoPrune to yes.  I modified the script
written by C M Reinehr which deletes the files for the purged volumes and
deleted the entry from the database.

I am also wondering why you use "Max Volume Duration" instead of "Volume
Retention"?

Hemant Shah
E-mail: hjrrs AT yahoo DOT com