Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Malformed data header from FD

2008-07-01 04:21:49
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Malformed data header from FD
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2008 10:21:10 +0200
Hi,

30.06.2008 12:43, Silver Salonen wrote:
> On Monday 30 June 2008 13:38, Arno Lehmann wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> 30.06.2008 12:20, Silver Salonen wrote:
>>> Hi.
>>>
>>> I use Bacula 2.4.0 as server and I'm trying to backup Windows XP. The
> problem
>>> is that even though job starts running fine, it gets stuck at some point
> and
>>> then SD reports error a few minutes later. At first I thought it's always
>>> about the same file, but it's not - it gets stuck on different files.
>>>
>>> The error is:
>>> =====
>>> 30-Jun 13:00 mybac-dir JobId 68: Max Volume jobs exceeded. Marking
>>> Volume "lett1-full-0061" as Used.
>>> 30-Jun 13:01 mybac-sd JobId 68: Fatal error: append.c:180 Malformed data
>>> header from FD: 479ÿ
>>> 30-Jun 13:01 mybac-sd JobId 68: Job write elapsed time = 00:00:10,
> Transfer
>>> rate = 5.650 M bytes/second
>>> 30-Jun 13:01 mybac-lett1-fd JobId 68: Fatal
> error: ../../filed/backup.c:892
>>> Network send error to SD. ERR=Input/output error
>>> 30-Jun 13:01 mybac-lett1-fd JobId 68: Error: ../../lib/bsock.c:306 Write
> error
>>> sending 6548 bytes to Storage daemon:192.168.21.1:9103: ERR=Input/output
>>> error
>>> =====
>>>
>>> I tried backup with and without VSS, with 2.4.0 and with 2.2.8, but it's
>>> always the same.
>>> Backing up some other folder works fine though..
>>>
>>> Any ideas what could cause that?
>> What FD version do you run on windows?
>
> Ah, sorry, 2.4.0 and 2.2.8 were about Windows FD :)

The DIR is which version?

>> Does the estimate command work correctly?
>
> I just tried it and yes, it estimates 4 times more data than backups have
> managed to send.

Good start already.

>> Any firewalls between the FD and SD?
>
> PF on server-side, but it's configured to pass everything on that (inner)
> interface.
>
>> Which network card and driver on windows?
>
> Don't know and cannot check at the moment :(

Then look for nVidia network hardware and, if you find any, try the
latest drivers or add a NIC expansion card... apart from that, I can
only suggest to run the FD with lots of debug output, capture the
network traffic, and compare. And be patient and know the Bacula code :-)

By the way - can Wireshark decode Bacula traffic? According to the
wireshark man page and google, it doesn't - but I believe it might be
possible someone wrote a filter for this purpose.

I'd really like to see such a thing, but have no idea how to create it
(and no time, too ;-)

Arno
> --
> Silver