Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Backing up VMWare Disc image

2008-06-18 11:18:40
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Backing up VMWare Disc image
From: Keith Sudbury <keith AT netzensolutions DOT com>
To: Robert LeBlanc <robert AT leblancnet DOT us>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 16:14:15 +0100
Robert LeBlanc wrote:
> On 6/18/08 7:22 AM, "Keith Sudbury" <keith AT netzensolutions DOT com> wrote:
>

>> I am just setting up a backup job for a CentOS box the runs a 2003sbs
>> server in a VM using VMWare. What is the best way to back this up? shut
>> the machine down and take a snapshot archive the image? then exclude the
>> image from the backup?
>>
>> The server it's self is backed up traditionally, has the windows
>> bacula-fd on there.
>>

>> Cheers
>>

> There are three ways of doing this. First, file level back-up in the VM
> using the bacula-fd, the restore will have to rebuild the entire machine.
> The second is to shut down the VM and back-up as you specified in your
> e-mail. The advantage is that your VM is in a good state for restore and you
> don't have to rebuild the VM after restoring the vmdk and vmx files, you do
> have to power off the VM for the entire time the back-up is running (can
> easily be scripted using Bacula). The third option is to create a snapshot
> of the running VM, back-up all but the last vmdk file (when you try to back
> it up, Bacula can't read it). This offers the advantage of the previous
> method minus, the VM is restored in a crash state, but you didn't have to
> power down the VM for the back-up. You may have to edit the vmx files and do
> a little clean up during the restore process.
>
> We implement methods 1 and 3 in our area on ESX servers. It works pretty
> well. We finally got everything for #3 finished a few weeks ago, so it's
> only run once, at the first of next month we will see how it goes again.

Yes, I was thinking about shutting the VM down and doing the above,
after all the  server is only needed 9-5 and some early evening stuff
for remote workers.  Shutting it down and taking a backup would not be
the end of the world and would allow for complete recovery, I would
still run a standard backup as well (restoring a machine for a lost file
would be... erm, Hell?). On the Exchange front I think I will just have
ntbackup doing a file backup that gets picked up by the bacula-fd.

As far as backing up the VM image goes, is it a case of powering down
the VM copying the dir where the .vmdk images are located to tape?

Thanks

--
Keith Sudbury
Netzen Solution Ltd